Monday, March 11, 2013

The Myth of "The Good Old Days"

I recently posted this on Facebook with a caption about how awful and misleading it was. I was asked why. As I started to respond, my post grew past what I could put in the little box, so it got moved here. A few caveats: I didn't proofread this because I'm lazy and it's really long, so sorry about spelling and grammar mistakes. Also, I'm full of ways to fix these things, so if you ask really nicely and wait a few days, I may post a series of links and paragraphs with solutions. Anyway, without further ado, why it's totally not our fault and I hate that old lady!


1) Returning bottles worked fine for a regionalized economy, much more difficult and cost ineffective today. Plus they didn't have plastic at that quality and price. New plastic bottles are dramatically cheaper than new glass bottles or even shipping used glass bottles. This allows greater access to beverages to all class of people. I support bottle deposits, but it doesn't work for all situations.

2) Reusing bags is great. We do it today when we don't bring our own. But you know what I do instead? Don't write on books and use a bag made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic.

3) We have elevators and escalators in stores and office buildings for those who physically can't walk up the stairs (undoubtedly like this old woman) can access floors otherwise unaccessible to them. We also have more taller buildings (which allows us to decrease the amount of land needed to support a single person). Yes, people take advantage of these devices, but I think it's well worth the tradeoff, and anyone confined to a wheelchair would agree.

4) Washing cloth diapers uses just as much resource input as disposable diapers. Air drying is great, if you have the space and climate. Ever try to air dry something in Portland in the winter? It takes a week. And I got plenty of hand-me-downs, but clothes also cost much less than they did and are produced with less environmental impact. It is sad that many companies (Walmart) design their clothes to last a shorter amount of time, but this is not a universal truth.

5) That one TV used more energy than all the electronic devices in my house combined. The tools available in my kitchen have decreased the time I spend cooking, allowing me to prepare a more varied meal with higher nutritional value, not to mention how many advances we've had in food production and transportation that allow me to eat so many more types of fruits, vegetables and grains that Americans wouldn't have dreamed of 50 years ago. Packaging technology has developed in ways that can keep packages safer from damage in smaller containers, increasing the amount that can be sent on a truck, train, ship or plane in a single trip. I can't defend gas mowers too much, but ask my dad how long it would take to mow the meadow at our farm if he didn't have the tractor, which cut the task down to 3 hours.

6) Water fountains are terribly inefficient, but that doesn't excuse throw-away cups. I have used the same reusable Starbucks cold cup at work for the last 3 years. Disposable razors are safer, more sanitary and produce a closer shave than old razors.

7) For most people, streetcars and buses are not an option. Neither is riding a bike or walking to school. As cars became more prevalent, the older generations built towns in such a way that we couldn't safely get from Point A to Point B without driving. They also stopped using public transit, so systems downsized. They also moved out of the cities into suburbia so everyone could have their yard with a white picket fence. And she blames US for not walking and biking? Right, because that 12-year-old told you to build the road without shoulders or sidewalks that goes to the school. And of course you didn't need a device to tell you where to eat, because you only had one place to go. We have restaurants to suit any mood and it's great! Did you not want to eat at the diner one? Too bad, it's the only option! I can walk less than 5 blocks and eat Thai, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, sushi, pizza, Southern, Middle Eastern, BBQ, British (why I would, I don't know), cajun, French, Ethiopian, Hawaiian and more. But no, I agree: looking at my phone for a place to eat is ridiculous.

Bonus) Let's just mention how so many of the things I've mentioned above have led to HUGE advances in medicine. Plastic in particular, not to mention this thing called The Internet. That same device that found my dinner also helps diabetics check their insulin levels, helps blind people navigate complex cities, helps deaf people communicate, connects available organs to people who need transplants and the doctors who can perform the surgeries. How old are you, lady? Probably would have been dead by that age if you were born 50 years earlier. This list could go on and on.

Ok, you probably got more than you bargained for there, but people need to understand that "the good old days" were not as good as they remember. Yes, we use more energy per capita now, but the opportunities we have are so vastly improved. Our educations are miles above what they were. Our healthcare is a marvel. The amount of information available to you 24/7 is practically unlimited.

So go ahead, old woman, tell me about the good old days when you could get a paper bag at the store and pretend these aren't problems your generation created for us. Screw. You.

No comments:

Post a Comment